|Here you can see MKE topping the national average|
The report, which reviewed states' volunteer rates between 2010 and 2012, shows some great numbers for our city and state.
Overall, in Milwaukee, WI in 2012:
- 33.6% of residents volunteer, ranking them 3rd among the 51 largest MSAs.
- 42.8 volunteer hours per resident.
- 380,000 volunteers.
- 50.1 million hours of service.
- $1.1 billion of service contributed.
- 65.3% of residents donate to charity.
- 12.3% of residents participate in public meetings.
- 45.4% of residents over age 55 volunteer.
Overall, in Wisconsin in 2012:
- 35.6% of residents volunteer, ranking them 8th among the 50 states and Washington, DC.
- 36.7 volunteer hours per resident.
- 1.62 million volunteers.
- 165.3 million hours of service.
- $3.1 billion of service contributed.
- 60.6% of residents donate to charity.
- 13.6% of residents participate in public meetings.
- 34.7% of residents over age 55 volunteer.
The report also proves what I had thought for the past years and spurred me to start GMM: that women volunteer more than men. Nationally, 29.5% of women volunteer for 4.5 billion hours of service while men are at 23% volunteer rate for 3.4 billion hours of service - nearly 1/3 higher hours.
If Milwaukee is this good already, just think where we can place on the lists if we can get more men involved and make Milwaukee & its men Greater at volunteering. If you want to find volunteer and charitable opportunities, here is a list of ones available in Milwaukee. Let's all work together and see if we can get Milwaukee to be #1 and take Wisconsin along with us to the top.