Furthermore, looking at quotes from his works, I find so many parallels to what I developed as my own modern gentleman's code, my template on how to become a Greater Man, in Milwaukee or anywhere you may live:
A Great Man man strives to be Compassionate, Decisive, Enterprising, and Sincere.
Following are each of the four values and quotes from Seuss that support them.
The virtue of Compassion means have good intentions, to feel empathy and sympathy for the feelings of others. Be cognizant of their needs and try to help those in need.
- "A person's a person, no matter how small."
- "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
The virtue of Decision means to make judgments, be accountable, and be determined and persuasive. Know what you want to and should do, then do it.
- "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose."
- "It is better to know how to learn than to know."
- "You're on your own. And you know what you know. And you are the one who'll decide where to go."
The virtue of Enterprise means to undertake projects, be bold and ready, be adventurous, but be organized. Make plans and follow them.
- "Today is your day. Your mountain is waiting. So ... get on your way."
- "If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too."
The virtue of Sincerity means to be free from deceit, be earnest, and truthful. Simply, be honest - to others but most of all to yourself. It could also be called Integrity.
- "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
- "Why fit in when you're born to stand out?"
- "Be who you are and say what you mean. Because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
There are many more I could scour his works for, but these are some his more well-known ones. To wrap things up, here is one longer quote directly from the man himself that truly speaks to how to live to be a Greater Man.
"Life's too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised it would be worth it."
Is there a Seuss book, character, or quote that speaks to you? Join the conversation by adding your favorites.