|Most families aren't this happy on their devices|
photo cr. Apple
What many people don't understand is that your internet speed is dependent on 2 things:
1) Your Internet service provider speed
2) Your device's speed (PC, laptop, tablet, phone) from its internal network adapter.
On any device the speed will only be as fast as the slower of the 2. So you can have fast Internet & WiFi but your device might not be very fast. Or your device may have a fast network adapter but you have slower Internet speed. All if it throttled by your home WiFi network.
We will take a look at what this means and my recommendations.
|Chrome's built in speed test|
Your fastest speed will usually come from a desktop computer connected to your router via an ethernet cable (wired).
For example, at home I have fiber connection to my ISP.
- Gaming Desktop PC Wired: 912.3 Mbps | WiFi: 244.3 Mbps
- Work laptop: Wired: 93 Mbps | WiFi: 119.2 Mbps
- Pixelbook high-end Chromebook: WiFi: 1.1 Gbps
- Android phone:
(Like a streaming device or gaming console for your TV that will need a lot of bandwidth)
|photo cr. Business Insider|