GF: Roasted Cauliflower Cheeseburger Casserole
|Roasted Cauliflower Cheeseburger Casserole|
Today I got out ground beef and was thinking what to do with it. Yesterday my wife and I had tastes for hamburgers but opted for something else. I didn't want to cook up burger patties and was looking for side options. When I picked out cauliflower, I thought - why not make some casserole? Initially thinking using the cauliflower as a rice substitute, I decided to try to just use the full florets in a dish. My mind went back to burgers. I know I have seen hamburger type casseroles (such as that Helper in the store) so I searched for 'cauliflower ground beef' recipes and found a few to work with.
I combined and edited some recipes and here is my version.
|I decided to roast the cauliflower first (versus steam or otherwise cook) |
to make them a little less mushy and maybe a bit more tater tot like.
|Cooked the meat with onions & garlic and added a |
tomato/mustard sauce with pickles
for all the best hamburger flavors
|You gotta have cheese for a 'cheeseburger' recipe|
|All the ingredients together and ready to bake|
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1/4 cup diced pickles
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 3 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 bag frozen cauliflower (14.4 oz)
- Cooking spray
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. starch/flour (gf option like Arrowroot, or whatever you want to use)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheese, shredded (you pick - cheddar, american, whatever)
- salt, pepper to taste
- Put cauliflower florets in a casserole dish, spray with cooking spray and salt and pepper to taste, broil on low until florets just start to get caramelized.
- In a large skillet add oil and cook onions until translucent.
- Add ground beef and garlic, salt & pepper to taste, and cook until beef browned. Drain excess fat.
- In a small bowl combine tomato paste, mustard, vinegar. Add pickles and tomato sauce mixture to ground beef.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in starch/flour until thickened. Stir in cheese and milk until cheese melted.
- Combine meat sauce with cauliflower in casserole dish, then pour and spread cheese sauce over. If you wanted you could add more shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
Post a Comment